Wednesday, April 11, 2007

RIP: Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut, the creative genius behind such concepts as Bokononism is dead, at the age of 84. I've had a great deal of respect for his work since my dad turned me on to Deadeye Dick back in the early 1980s. Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five are my two personal favorites from his collected works. His cynical humor and keen sense of awareness of our dark times will be missed. Perhaps a final sentence from The Books of Bokonon would be a fitting epitaph:
If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would climb to the top of Mount McCabe and lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would take from the ground some of the blue-white poison that makes statues of men; and I would make a statue of myself, lying on my back, grinning horribly, and thumbing my nose at You Know Who.
Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment