Monday, September 24, 2007

The Demise of the God Squad?

See Mark Morford's column, The fall of the Godmongers: Praise Jesus, it's the collapse of evangelical Christian rule in America. Rejoice!

Personally I tend to be more Cassandra than Pollyanna in my thinking, especially given the very authoritarian times in which our typically authoritarian society is situated. That said, any news that the religious right is losing its chokehold on American society is good news.

I'll say that the Jerry Falwells, Pat Robertsons, etc., were a huge turnoff to me when I was younger, and the words and actions of them and their followers influenced me to turn away from Christianity for over a decade. Over the years, I've been blessed with the occasional friends (from of all things the anarchist punk crowd) and my wife who've provided me with ample gentle reminders that there are iterations of Christianity that are nothing like the right-wing abomination. I don't speak of my faith very often, but will say simply many of us aren't like what you see in the mega-churches. A lot of it comes down to what drives my faith that contrasts with what seems to drive the fundies - for them it all comes down to fear; for me it comes down to hope and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment