Monday, December 10, 2007

Seven Factoids

I've been tagged by my amigo, XicanoPwr. Usually I don't do these, but just for kicks I'll indulge (especially because I need to get my mind off of finals and the ever-horrendous reality that I will be grading finals into the wee hours for the next several days). Let's start with the rules:
These are the rules:

1) Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
2) Share 7 facts about yourself.
3) Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
4) Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
So far so good. Part one can be crossed off. Now let's share a few factoids:

1. I have loved puzzles since childhood. It really doesn't matter what the puzzle is per se. Nearly every problem I encounter gets treated as a puzzle to be solved. I consider this particular quality as responsible for my attraction to the social sciences.

2. The first record I purchased was a 7" single (we're talking vinyl!) called "Shining On" by Grand Funk Railroad. I loved the tune at the time (this was after all the mid 1970s), but liked the flipside so much more ("Hey Mister Pretty Boy" which consists of almost unaccompanied blues-ish electric guitar and snarling vocals, and lyrics that could describe just about any celebrity desperately needing rehab). I've had a habit of digging on the obscurities and b-sides ever since.

3. In 7th grade, my best friend and I tried to create our own radio show with the intention of talking the principal into airing it at school. Although that never panned out (our sense of humor was a bit twisted), my taste for doing some form of acting never died out. Periodically, I'd help friends out with film class projects as an undergrad, usually doing some bit character role, just for kicks. Eventually, I had an opportunity to try my hand at theatre, appearing in a play, Divorce, Southern Style at our local community theatre back in 2002, as the lecherous "Dr. Fred Abernathy."

4. I'm an amateur radio DJ and avid collector of mostly jazz recordings (especially the out-of print stuff). Actually, my tastes are pretty eclectic, including (in addition to jazz) electronic musics (ambient, trip-hop, turntablism), rap, funk, blues, industrial, punk, and early metal.

5. I once booked a gig for someone to open for Allen Ginsberg at CSU Fullerton (this would have been 1989); the one and only time I played the role of "agent" - and pro bono no less. The friend I helped get that gig, Richard Pfeifer, gave the performance of his life.

6. I have been fascinated by horror stories, shows, and films since early childhood, from the moment I first caught a glimpse of Rod Serling's "Night Gallery." Even early on, my preference was more for the psychological thriller than gore. In elementary school, I ended up reading the library's entire collection of Hitchcock's "Three Investigators" series (the first book I picked up was called The Moaning Cave; think of a more macabre, edgier Hardy Boys). In early adolescence I became a fan of Edgar Allen Poe ("The Tell-Tale Heart" was and still is a personal favorite). My favorite horror thriller is Hitchcock's classic "Psycho" (A sub-factoid - the father of one of my undergrad philosophy professors was a techie on that film - among his accomplishments being the realistic look and "feel" of the blood in the shower scene.).

7. I consume way too much caffeine - at least in the eyes of mere mortals. No human should ever attempt to drink as much coffee as I routinely down on a a daily basis. One can sum up my blogging existence to the simple fact that I ingest caffeine levels that would kill an elephant. In fact, I list my blood type simply as Folgers.

More pieces to the puzzle, as it were.

Strangely enough that's the easy part. Now for the hard part: figuring out seven bloggers to tag. Supposedly this should be random, but lacking access to a good randomizing software I'm going to slightly bend the rules to tag seven (out of many) individuals whom I think would be interesting, and who might be about as crazy as I am to do this thing. So, without further ado:

Manny, boran2, MickeyZ, Scruggs, Smartypants, catnip, and Nezua. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to keep this meme alive. This message will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment