Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Lakers are collapsing like a house of cards

I've been watching the finals, and as of this writing have just witnessed the Lakers completely blow a huge lead for the second straight game. So the third quarter of what is probably the last game of the finals. If the Lakers somehow survive tonight's bloodbath, they'll be eaten alive like a hemophiliac in a river full of piranha at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday.

On Thursday night, the Lakers looked incredible early on (with the exception of Kobe who appeared to be mostly asleep), posting largest 1st quarter lead in NBA finals history, and maintaining that commanding lead through halftime. Then, a completely different team came out to play the remaining half, and by the time that final buzzer sounded, Kobe and crew stood there stunned. At least today, after nearly matching Thursday's 1st quarter performance, the Lakers had the good sense to fold early. When one of the commentators mentioned at the end of the first that the Celtics had the Lakers where they wanted them, I nodded my head in agreement.

I'm an unusual sports fan, in that I follow coaches (or in the case of baseball, managers) rather than players or teams. I've been a Phil Jackson fan for quite a long time now, and was hoping to see him make history this year by finally surpassing the legendary Red Auerbach's record for championships won as head coach. Both men have been tied since 2002. It won't happen this year. Phil will be around for at least a couple more years, so I'll just have to be patient for now.

Although I normally don't gamble, tonight would be the night to do it. I'd have placed my bet against the Lakers prior to the start of the game, and then dared Laker true-believers around half-time to double the bet. They'll lose by at least five tonight. I can feel it. It pains me to say it, but I have to tell the truth as I see it.

And I am on a hot streak right now. Yesterday, my wife and son bet me that our town's only restaurant would be open by the time we returned from Guymon. Long story, but my intention to treat my parents to Sheilos was thwarted when the place was still closed about a half hour after its scheduled dinner-time start. Hence, it's for them a safe enough bet for my wife and son, given that our local eatery tends to open later than scheduled, and we tend to be early birds when it comes to dinner time. I played my hunch that the place would still be closed. They were expecting an easy $30 from me - but they were dead wrong. Somehow, though, I get the feeling I'm going to be stiffed. I'm forgiving, though. They're family. So it goes. But I'm on a hot streak. I can't lose. Celtics by at least five.

Mark my words. You read it here first. The Celtics will have won the championship tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment