Monday, June 23, 2008

RIP George Carlin

The world loses yet another great comedic voice. A few Carlin quotes that I happen to like:

The wisest man I ever knew taught me something I never forgot. And although I never forgot it, I never quite memorized it either. So what I’m left with is the memory of having learned something very wise that I can’t quite remember.

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
On that last line, I'd like to think that the duty of a blogger is quite similar! You'll be missed.

Bonus - Here's George Carlin about 15 years ago on the topic of the first Gulf War. Amazing how much of that monologue is every bit as timely today (including the very last few seconds of the video):

No comments:

Post a Comment