Monday, June 2, 2008

RIP

Today seems to be a day for death. Was just reading that Bo Diddley passed away.

On a much more personal note, my wife's biological father passed away this morning after battling terminal cancer. He'd called to say his goodbyes this past weekend, so we knew the end was quite near. My wife said that he looked awful when she visited him for his 65th birthday. There's something about folks who are self-taught that I tend to admire, and Rog was one of those cats who taught himself sufficiently in areas such as chemical engineering to invent and patent products he hoped would help save the environment. We'd had a couple conversations during my grad school days regarding Kuhn's writings on normal science and the role of outsiders in changing paradigms, and I know he hoped that he was one of those outsiders. Of course I also got plenty of the usual unwanted advice that in-laws tend to give the spouses of their offspring, but that goes with the territory.

The relationship between my wife and her dad was contentious, but I know that they both loved each other a great deal, and I was thankful that we were able to come up with the needed cash to send my wife to see him one last time. You'll be missed, Rog.

No comments:

Post a Comment