Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11 Means Different Things to Different People

The essay is available in full at Never In Our Names. Just a teaser:
I've been doing a variation of the following since September 11, 2003, which at the time marked the 30th anniversary of the US-assisted overthrow of the democratically elected Allende government in Chile, and the beginning of Pinochet's reign of terror against his own people. The idea was to offer a reminder to my readers that what 9-11 means or "should mean" has a great deal of variability among individuals across the globe.

This year I'm modifying my statement just a bit, as I like to keep it fresh as I wish to keep it real. There is no doubt in my mind that terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center twin towers and the Pentagon were a terrible tragedy. However, let's not forget that September 11 marks the anniversary for numerous other events: some tragic, some inspirational.
Read the rest.

See also, Alexa's 11 September, 2001: "Everything Has Changed"

No comments:

Post a Comment