Sunday, September 21, 2008

Wherein I play the world's smallest violin

From ABC "News" (h/t Balloon Juice):
"A lot of those people will have to sell their homes, they're going to cut back on the private jets and the vacations. They may even have to take their kids out of private school," said Frank. "It's a total reworking of their lifestyle."
He added that it's going to be no easy task.
"It's going to be very hard psychologically for these people," Frank said. "I talked to one guy who had to give up his private jet recently. And he said of all the trials in his life, giving that up was the hardest thing he's ever done."
Although I'm nominally a professional (my vocation ironically enough makes me part of the technocratic class), my salary is just enough where some months I get very close to pondering if I will be deciding between electricity and food for the kids, let alone money for internet access. I'm not kidding. I have absolutely no sympathy for those who've been draining the life out the economy and draining the life out of those of us who may be barely making ends meet. So I read about these $700 billion Wall Street bail outs that give folks who caused the mess carte blanche (e.g. Hank Paulson), and about the ruling class consensus in its favor (the possible handful of congresslizards who don't approve notwithstanding) and I only get angrier than I am normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment