Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Ceremony"

I saw several clips of what is arguably one of my favorite songs from the 1980s over at BLCKDGRD. The first time I heard "Ceremony" was when it had been performed by New Order (the band that rose out of the ashes of Joy Division, in case one needed to know that), with former Ian Curtis bandmate Bernard Sumner handling the vocal chores. "Ceremony" seems to be making its way back into my consciousness for whatever reason. Just seems right.

Here are some more clips of New Order performing "Ceremony". They'll vary in quality a bit.

The first is from a live 1981 gig. The film and sound quality are a bit shitty, but there is something very appealing in its rawness.



Here's another 1981 clip - this one performed at the Ukranian National Home in NYC, 11-19-1981 - one stop on New Order's first US tour. The film and sound quality are both dramatically improved. The lyrics seem as much wept as they are sung. Quite a moving performance.



The final clip is from a 1984 performance - get past the cheesy tv show intro, and again you'll be treated to good sound and film quality.



Ceremony - lyric by Ian Curtis (7-15-1956 - 5-18-1980)

This is why events unnerve me
They find it all, a different story
Notice whom for wheels are turning
Turn again and turn towards this time
All she ask's the strength to hold me
Then again the same old story
Word will travel, oh so quickly
Travel first and lean towards this time

Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time
Watching her, these things she said
The times she cried
Too frail to wake this time

Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time
Avenues all lined with trees
Picture me and then you start watching
Watching forever, forever
Watching love grow, forever
Letting me know, forever

No comments:

Post a Comment