Sunday, June 14, 2009

Well, I'm relieved

Lakers won! I've probably mentioned this before, but I tend to be a bit unusual in my sports spectating habits in that I tend to follow coaches rather than teams. Phil Jackson has been a favorite coach to follow since his days as the Bulls' head coach. It's probably his coaching philosophy, which seems to have a Zen influence that I began digging on back in the day.

I'd hoped he'd beat Red Auerbach's record of 9 championships last year, but Red's old team wasn't about to let that happen. Patience is a virtue, and it was nice to see a Lakers team that actually played tight most games this season, and especially when it counted during the playoffs. Had to wait a year, but #10 was sweet. We won't see any coach come anywhere near what either Auerbach or Jackson accomplished for a long time. Those two coaches were once-in-a-lifetime. Rumor has it that Jackson is thinking retirement. Hate to see him leave, but if he does retire, at least it was on a high note.

Sidebar: it was a relief to actually have commentators during the championship series who minimized their use of that awful phrase "from downtown" whenever players hit a three-pointer. I think it actually took the 3rd quarter of Game 2 before "from downtown" reared its ugly head - and there had been no lack of 3 point field goals by that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment