Sunday, July 12, 2009

Musical Interlude:

"Xtal" by Aphex Twin:



There's something about that track that I can't put to words really. "Xtal" is for whatever reason a tune I find strangely comforting. My first encounter with the music of Aphex Twin was in 1991, I believe. There was this Los Angeles-based commercial radio station that devoted itself primarily to electronic and industrial music (with some goth thrown in for good measure). For the life of me, I can't remember the station's call letters (maybe someone reading this with the requisite knowledge will jog my failing memory). It lasted only a year or so. Still it was quite nice getting to hear the likes of Laibach, Cabaret Voltaire, Coil, and Orb broadcast through a consistently strong signal while commuting between Pasadena or Northridge and Fullerton. The Aphex Twin tune I heard on that station was called "Didgeridoo".



Been a fan ever since. My favorite album was released in 1995 (Selected Ambient Works, Vol. 2). The first track (known as "Cliffs") drew me in. The next video from a modern classical combo called Alarm Will Sound, who perform the tune as an acoustic piece.



There's always been a place in my heart for ambient and minimalist musics since I first encountered the likes of Eno and Steve Reich as a teen.

No comments:

Post a Comment