Sunday, August 2, 2009

What is there left to say?

I have linked to memeorandum for a good couple years or so. Occasionally, my blog gets picked up as part of the discussion to one of the links at the site (for which I am always appreciative). Sometimes there is some genuinely substantive news and opinion. Sometimes, the page seems filled with propaganda. But tonight, I come home from our annual school clothes shopping adventure (I'll tell that story another time - suffice it to say, I nearly have a heart attack each time I look at the cost of kids' school clothes) and find memeorandum looking like something out of the National Enquirer:

I'm guessing that is more exciting fare than news that data from the first 12 months of the current recession indicate that the US economy shrunk more than twice what had originally been estimated (the headline I thought was quite attention-grabbing: US Recession Worst Since Great Depression, Revised Data Show). Did you know that there have been 69 bank failures this year, so far? Anyone paying attention to the casualty situation in Afghanistan? Ever wonder how global warming is affecting the northern hemisphere, or how global warming might be shifting deserts to higher latitudes? How about finding out about what the Gates case really tells us about the state of our civil rights and liberties?

Instead, it's bread and circuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment