Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Musical Interlude: 23 Skidoo



Whatever else one might say about early industrial music (from the mid-1970s through the early 1980s), it was unique. Probably most folks will recall Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle (with good reason) as standouts from that era, but 23 Skidoo bears mention as well. These cats were every bit as challenging and arguably abrasive (personally I find the music pleasant, but I'm, shall we say, a bit different) as the aforementioned bands, but broadened the musical palette to include instrumentation (primarily percussion) from all over the planet. Although there are several tunes that I could easily recommend to the uninitiated, "Kundalini" is as good an intro as any. If you can find the album Urban Gamelan, look for the track "F.U.G.I." It's a personal fave, for the bass line alone:



F.U.G.I. would later be re-recorded as "Coup":



There was some great music from the post-punk era.

No comments:

Post a Comment