Monday, September 21, 2009

True, not exactly a blazing insight, but needs to be said

Dave Matthews sez:

CNN: President Carter said he thinks that a lot of the animosity directed toward President Obama is race related.

Dave Matthews: Of course it is! I found there's a fairly blatant racism in America that's already there, and I don't think I noticed it when I lived here as a kid. But when I went back to South Africa, and then it's sort of thrust in your face, and then came back here -- I just see it everywhere. There's a good population of people in this country that are terrified of the president only because he's black, even if they don't say it. And I think a lot of them, behind closed doors, do say it.

Social psychologists such as James Jones have been saying it for decades, and before him activists and social critics from various angles. In the case of Matthews, his perspective is shaped from growing up in Apartheid-era South Africa. Something insidious to relatively well-off white Americans may seem considerably more often to someone outside of that particular bubble (including, the occasional well-off rock star).

No comments:

Post a Comment