Sunday, December 20, 2009

Bigotry rears its ugly head

This comment grabbed me:
A professor I studied with when I was in grad school was murdered in his office a few weeks ago. I went to his hometown newspaper to read his obituary, expecting to find anecdotes and memories of a kind and gentle academic.

Unfortunately, the grad student who stabbed him to death was an Arab (as was Professor Antoun, who was an Arab-American and a Unitarian).

I was shocked by what I found. The comments were past inappropriate, exploiting a tragedy to spew vile accusations against Arabs and Muslims. These geniuses also assumed that the victim was Jewish or a tall blond, blue eyed Scandinavian (!). When I googled his name I was directed to Michele Malkin’s blog where some of the postings were word for word identical with the comments from the obituary comments.

As I get older, I’ve become convinced that in the end civility is the only thing that maintains our humanity. God help the Republic.
Really I don't think I could add much more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment