Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Musical interlude


"Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba. I became a fan of this crew back in the 1980s when they were basically known as a first-rate anarchopunk band (Pictures of Starving Children Sell Records and Never Mind the Ballots from the mid-to-late 1980s are both well-worth seeking out). They've since been a fairly eclectic outfit. Whether this particular single marks their finest hour I'll leave to others to sort out. All I'll say is that a revolution without dancing and partying is not a revolution worth having. And the lyric "I get knocked down, but I get up again/ You're never gonna keep me down" is something of a personal theme - got me through the last years of grad school, and so far numerous years of borderline poverty.

Note in the margin: For my non-Anglophile readers, the phrase "pissing the night away" translates to "drinking the night away" or if one wants a broader definition, simply wasting time. Which reminds me...time to piss the night away.

No comments:

Post a Comment