Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Musical Interlude: This Mortal Coil

Another vocalist from the 1980s whose work would move me was Elizabeth Fraser, who was the singer for Cocteau Twins and also appeared on the first This Mortal Coil album. This one is called "Song to the Siren":



A friend was playing this for me back probably sometime in 1986 or 1987. I forget exactly. From the opening note, I was hooked. Within months I had quite a bit of her work with the aforementioned This Mortal Coil and her main band Cocteau Twins in my collection, with the tapes from those lps getting played to the breaking point. I understand that this song is part of the soundtrack to the film "The Lovely Bones." Regrettably I'll have to wait for the film to come on DVD. Fans of the series "House" can hear her voice in the theme song, which is from an old Massive Attack cd from the late 1990s.

Put me on a desert island with nothing but cds from Fraser, Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush, and Lady Gaga, and I'd be mostly content (all this assumes access to a good source of electricity and cd player). I'd miss the jazz, but I'd get over it pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment