Friday, February 19, 2010

What a twist

I read somewhere that Sarah Palin had her knickers in a bunch over a recent Family Guy episode that references Trig Palin (the child with Down Syndrome). The actress who played the character in question actually has Down Syndrome, and basically had a few words of her own:
I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm."

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.
I saw the episode in question, as did my wife who is a person with a disability (cerebral palsy).The episode really wasn't particularly funny, but neither of us found it especially offensive. Palin, as usual, overreacted, with her latest mock outrage (I'm sure if Rush or Glenn Beck had made the same joke, it would have been okay - ya betcha!). But then again, Palin's mock outrage was about as predictable as the FG line in question. In the meantime, kudos to actress Andrea Fay Friedman for standing by her work - not that she really needed to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment