Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Juneteenth!

Read more about it here. A couple years ago, my friend over at ¡Para Justicia y Libertad! had a very good post on Juneteenth. Still worth a read. Juneteenth is a reminder of many things, including how slowly news used to travel.

Now, here's a few events that caught my attention courtesy of Wikipedia:

As the above list shows, certainly the Nazis did not invent the perverted concept of forcing individuals who were considered "undersirables" to wear badges to identify themselves. This sorry practice goes back many centuries at least, and sadly continues to be advocated by right-wing hate groups in the US. Being a long-time baseball fan, I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the first game played under relatively modern rules. The 8-hour work day was a welcome development, and one that should be viewed as vulnerable - increasingly so as organized labor continues its decline. The Tasmanian Devil is arguably my favorite Loony Tunes character - I honestly did not know until a few years ago that this was the anniversary of his debut. And I used to love the Garfield comic strip when I was much younger. I wouldn't first see it until it was picked up by my local paper around 1981.

No comments:

Post a Comment