Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tea Party Nationalism

No doubt, Tea Party Nationalism will be on my reading list as time permits over the next several days. Needless to say, as others have noted, the report from what I've checked so far will not sit well with those who identify themselves as TP. Moderate author and contributor to the Daily Beast, John Avlon wrote a little while back called Wingnuts that aptly characterized the Tea Party as a "white minority" political movement. As Avlon has duly noted, its adherents see the writing on the wall regarding our nation's demographics, and they've freaked out.

I've also seen the TP characterized as white Christianist tribalism, which is the description that I've tended to use as I've read more about and had encounters with TPers. The basic gist: this bunch has a very narrow view of what makes an acceptable American and an acceptable America. It's a view that has no room for large swaths of the rest of us (due to ethnic, religious, sexual orientation, ideological or other considerations). Personally I have no use for tribalism in any guise.

In the meantime, to take an old line from a Beatles tune, "Revolution":
But when you want money
for people with minds that hate
All I can tell is brother you have to wait

No comments:

Post a Comment