Monday, October 18, 2010

When extremes meet

I suppose it was only a matter of time before a TP candidate would extol the virtues of some facet of a Stalinist Soviet Bloc nation. Alaska's would-be TP Senator Joe Miller crossed that Rubicon over the weekend. The Stasi sure knew how to secure a border, although I'm not sure East Germany's approach is something to emulate. I'm guessing it's the whole "shoot to kill" vibe that Miller and his ilk dig on. Life is cheap unless it's white and Christianist life. So it goes. I find this comment as one that aptly sums up the whole sorry spectacle:
It's a long way from the Statue of Liberty as the symbol of the United States to an East German style barbed wire fence with mined no-man's land, guard towers, machine guns, and German shepherds.  I know what that looked like.  When I was a student in Göttingen, Germany, the border was just a few miles east of where I lived and we rode out there now and then.  It wasn't pretty.  But it certainly cut down the flow of people escaping to the West. 
Something tells me that with enough TPers running the country, it won't be long before immigration into the US is no longer an issue, but rather the flow of those escaping their wretched and thuggish authoritarianism.

Antidote: "Heroes" by David Bowie. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment