Saturday, December 18, 2010

Mixed bag from Congress

On the somewhat positive side, DADT (which I always thought was a stupid policy) is finally about to be swept into the dustbin of history. I have a hard time getting all that excited about much of anything that adds more potential recruits to our war machine. However, I simply find policies (corporate or governmental) that sanction discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation to be morally repugnant. The truth is that we've had gays, lesbians, and bis serving in the military for a long time, and they do just fine.

On the very negative side, the DREAM Act appears to be dead for now. If we had anything even remotely approaching sane political discourse in this country, it would have passed ages ago. I feel very disappointed. I can barely fathom the disappointment of a number of my friends who have worked tirelessly as activists to lobby Congress to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment