Thursday, October 6, 2011

Following #OccupyWallStreet on Twitter

That's pretty much been where I've spent what passes for free time as of late. I really haven't seen much point in blogging per se, as it would be difficult to add much beyond what I've already written over the last several years - at least add much else that might be relevant to those either involved or intrigued by the growing Occupy Wall Street protests. It's there in the archives. I've certainly done my best to discuss anticapitalism, the organizational and structural violence inherent in the current neoliberal order, the wars waged in order to support corporate interests, and so on. I'd rather instead continue to spread the word to those who've been following me on twitter (and will be continuing to do so for the foreseeable future). I also really would rather not simply rehash what other bloggers have already written on the topic. Obviously, I am heartened that the protests have spread to multiple cities across the US and across the globe (as in a fundamental way, this movement is one of numerous efforts to challenge a status quo that is incredibly toxic to almost all of us). Whether or not the protesters succeed in the short term, there is little doubt that they are succeeding in carrying the weight of history on their shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment