Sunday, January 29, 2012

From an interview with Richard H. Kirk

I was watching the BB C documentary Synth Britannia the other day. I thought it was really interesting how you mentioned that some people think the Cabaret Voltaire album Red Mecca was more the soundtrack to the riots in 1981 than the Specials’ ‘Ghost Town’. I was wondering what you thought of the recent riots, because there are a good few parallels. 

It is interesting, because 30 years on we are still living in the same fucking situation. We’ve got David Cameron in power, like we had Thatcher coming in in the late 70s. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t just close England down, because this country is fucked. Cameron will have blood on his hands this winter. So many old people are going to die because he has not kept a lid on the energy companies. Everything’s being cut down. Hospitals are bad enough, but now they are talking about cutting more jobs, cutting benefits for the old and disabled. I just think, you bunch of callous bastards. They’re all millionaires. They don’t understand what it’s like to be poor. I’m not saying Labour are any better.

Nicking a load of iPods does not a revolution make, but I definitely see similarities to the 80s. It’s spookily similar.

The rest of the interview can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment